At the invitation of Henry Marshall Tory, first president of the University of Alberta, the Catholic community founded an affiliated College on the University campus in 1926. There was a pressing need for Catholic post-secondary education in the province, and Archbishop John Joseph O'Leary responded to this need by inviting the Christian Brothers to take over the College administration. The College housed up to 100 men in very close quarters and provided university courses in Christian apologetics, ethics and philosophy.
Beginning with the College's first rector, Brother Rogatian, Christian Brothers on staff were members of several faculties in the early years of the University. When in 1963 the Brothers relinquished control, Archbishop John Hugh MacDonald invited the Basilian Fathers to assume responsibility for St. Joseph's. During the next decades, Campus ministry gained a greater visibility on campus while the College considerably expanded its academic offerings.
In most Catholic educational institutions, lay women and men have assumed ever greater responsibilities, and St. Joseph's College is no exception. In administration, academics, and pastoral care, lay persons are living out their baptismal calling in a visible and dynamic way.
Click to learn more about St. Joseph's College as noted during the University of Alberta Centenary celebrations in 2008!