If you have never taken an online course before, don't worry. Previous experience shows that most participants pick up the online methodology quickly.
The following notes are intended as a helpful guide for our online courses:
- Instructors will contact students through the University of Alberta provided email address
- All of our online classes use eClass except for CHRTC 350
- CHRTC 350 course materials can be found here
- Our online courses are all 3-credit courses
- Our online courses follow the same term schedule and deadlines as the the University of Alberta.
- This means that our classes are not self-directed learning or independent study. There is a timetable for each class and you must follow the course schedule and deadlines to avoid penalties.
- Your instructor's contact information will be on the course syllabus. If you don't yet have the course syllabus, click here for Faculty member contact information and here for Sessional instructor contact information.
- Assignments will be submitted electronically. Further details about how assignments are to be submitted will be provided by the instructor.
- If an online discussion component exists, you will be expected to actively participate on a regular, ongoing, and persistent basis. It is like an electronic check on your attendance.
Online Final Exams
Your instructor will advise you of the date, time and method of your final exam as soon as they are able.
- Some classes will have an online final exam that can be written anywhere with an internet connection.
- Some classes will provide a choice to write an exam online using a Remote Proctor system or to write the exam in the University of Alberta's Learning Assessment Centre. In this case, you will be asked to choose your preference in advance.
- If you use the Remote Proctor system, technical requirements include needing a webcam, microphone and a sufficient internet connection. Click here to run a system check on your computer to ensure the program will run smoothly. This system allows for the proctoring of your exam by recording the visual, audio, and desktop aspects of your exam and exam environment.
Open Studies Students:
Should you have any questions or concerns about your registration in a course, please contact the University of Alberta Registrar's Office at: 780-492-3856.
Further information about Open Studies registration is available here.
SJC Courses with Sections Offered Online
Fall 2018 & Winter 2019